Floyd County Indiana Superior Court 1
Floyd Superior Court No. 1 serves the public by providing a fair, accessible, effective and responsive forum to decide civil, criminal and other legal matters with the objective of resolving conflicts efficiently while maintaining confidence in the judiciary and enhancing community values.
The Superior Court is a Court of General Jurisdiction including Felony Criminal cases, Civil Cases, Divorces and Criminal non-Support. Approximately two-thirds of the cases heard in Superior Court are felony criminal matters, and approximately one-third are civil matters.
Superior Court does not hear cases involving probate, trust matters, juvenile cases or small claims.
The Floyd County Superior Court was established in 1978, Under Indiana Code 33-33-22-2. Since the Court’s creation in 1978, three Judges have presided over Floyd Superior Court;
- Presiding Carrie K. Stiller 01/01/21 – present
- Honorable Susan L. Orth 6/1/04 - 12/31/20
- Honorable Richard G. Striegel 1/1/79 – 5/31/04
- Honorable Harold Coons 1/1/78 – 12/31/78
- Courtroom Attire is business casual.
- Children cannot accompany parents in the courtroom unless they are being interviewed by the court in a particular case. There are no facilities to care for children. Other appropriate arrangements must be made.
- Cell Phones and Recording Devices must be turned off at all times while in the courtroom. No photo or recording devices of any kind are permitted.
- Parking is available in areas surrounding the courthouse.
- Security prohibits weapons of any kind in the courtroom and in the building.